Framlingham Castle, Suffolk
Framlingham Castle is a castle in the market town of Framlingham in Suffolk in England. An early motte and bailey or ringwork Norman castle was built on the Framlingham site by 1148, but this was destroyed by Henry II of England in the aftermath of the revolt of 1173–4. Its replacement, constructed by Roger Bigod, the Earl of Norfolk, was unusual for the time in having no central keep, but instead using a curtain wall with thirteen mural towers to defend the centre of the castle. Despite this, the castle was successfully taken by King John in 1216 after a short siege. By the end of the 13th century, Framlingham had become a luxurious home, surrounded by extensive parkland used for hunting.
The castle has given rise to some very strange stories indeed – chilling tales of mysterious faces, ghostly footsteps and disembodied screams, heard by staff echoing through the castle’s downstairs rooms. As recently as the summer of 2013, reports of children’s voices coming from the empty courtyard have been made, with many visitors saying that it sounded as though they were playing.